It has been a little while since I posted a recipe (and I really should step up the game as I have only posted one since deciding I wanted to include them on the blog!) so decided now is as good a time as any for something for Spring and Summer, that is as yummy as it is simple to make! Perfect for salads and what not. Of course, as the title suggests this is a vegetarian friendly recipe, but i’ve made it a few times with some chicken thrown in for good measure, its rather an easy one to adapt to suit your own tastes!
What You’ll Need:
- 225g Puff Pastry (shop bought or home made, works well with both, though I have a personal penchant for time saving devices!)
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 leeks (finely slice)
- 225g spinach (chopped)
- 2 eggs
- 300ml Double Cream
- Pinch of dried thyme
- Salt & Pepper
What You Need to Do;
- Roll out the pastry to approximately 25 x 30cm, let it rest for 5 minutes and then press into a 20x25cm flan dish, cover with tin foil and put in the fridge. (As a side note – do not trim the edges!! Leave that for when the dish is completely finished and ready to serve, I once trimmed at this stage and then ended up short on pastry once I added the filling….)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c
- Melt the butter in a frying pan on a medium heat, add the leeks, and stir for 5 minutes or so until the leeks are soft. Add the spinach, continue to stir until this is equally soft then leave the mixture aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs into a bowl, before stirring in the cream and seasoning with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- Take the base out the fridge, and spread the vegetable mix evenly across the base, then add the egg/cream mix over the top.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes or until completely set. (The times have varied each time I have made this, so keep a metal skewer or similar to hand and give it a prod in the middle to test)
And you have yourself a yummy summer tart! Either eat warm from the oven, or let cool and serve on the side at your next gathering or family BBQ.